InMoov Designer Gael Langevin Builds Robots For Jazz Radio Station

TSF Jazz 89.9, a Jazz radio station based in Paris, teamed up with InMoov this summer for a comical advertisement campaign.

TSF Jazz 89.9, a Jazz radio station based in Paris, teamed up with InMoov this summer for a comical advertisement campaign. The radio station asked InMoov designer Gael Langevin to create three humanoid robots that would look unhappy. Why? Because they cannot play jazz! The title of the campaign is, “Jazz: It’s a human thing.”

The company needed three different designs developed, 3D printed, assembled, and painted in only 25 days. “I barely had nights to sleep, working alone in my workshop, I thought I wouldn’t be able to accomplish the task in time,” said Gael.

To best capture a dejected look, Gael designed the robots to display emotions through body gestures. Gael designed a 3D-printed ball joint to allow the robot to assume any human position. “I designed the shoulders that lay low to reflect sadness. The stomach can bend in two halves, to reflect disappointment,” Gael explains.

Gael reflected that one of the most difficult aspects of the project was the surface finishing to make the robot resemble a shiny, futuristic bot. He used car filler and primer paint on all the 3D-printed parts to achieve the shiny aluminium effect.

Vincent Dixon, a famous photographer, shot photos of the robots in black and white from a New York location to create a realistic and gritty effect. Today, these three robots are featured throughout every major Parisian newspaper, magazine, and billboard to promote TSF Jazz 89.9.

You can find out more about the InMoov robot project here.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here